Last Night in Las Vegas

Joe • October 23, 2015

My last night in Las Vegas was pretty rough. Came back to the Hard Rock Hotel after an awesome dinner out and played some Blackjack. Heard someone mention the power (including elevators) was out in the tower I was staying in. Great. I cashed in my chips and decided to see what was up since I had to be up in 7 hours for my flight out.
I walked over to the elevators and they were still working on getting the people out of the elevators who were stuck in them. I asked if the power was on in the rooms and they said yes. I asked for an ETA on the elevators working again and they said 15 minutes. After waiting 15 minutes I asked again and they said 15 minutes. So I hiked up to floor 18, the very top and got to the room. Room was pretty warm, the AC wasn't on the backup generators. Which I totally understand.
18 floor walk up in vegas
I packed up all my stuff since I was leaving in the morning anyway and called down to the front desk and they said there was still no ETA. This was around 45 minutes after the first 15 minute ETA they gave me, seemed clear something was up and no one had a solid timeframe. I asked to be moved to the other tower, which would have meant walking down 18 floors but whatever to get me into a cooler room where I would be able to get some sleep. The person I talked to said "I'll have the manager call you right back". I laid down and eventually passed out around 12:30. I woke up at 2:30 because I heard the AC kick on. Front desk never called me back. I got some sleep but still pretty pissed about how they handled this.
When I checked out this morning I asked the front desk if the would compensate me for the issues and the guy at the desk said there was nothing they could do. I was leaving to catch a plane and had no idea how long it would take me to get from the hotel to the gate, so I didn't feel like I had time to wait around and argue. Oh well. I really hope they send me a survey asking for feedback.